Who doesn’t love a good apple pie? I know I do! But
So how about we change things up a bit? Instead of a traditional apple pie, we add some caramel, of course some bourbon and top it a sweet crumbly streusel…. mmmmmm I can just taste this now!
Be sure to click here to get the full Thanksgiving Menu
- 1 Stick of butter
- 1 Cup + 2 Tbsp. Flour
- 1/2 C. Granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- healthy pinch of cinnamon
- 3lbs. Ripe Apples-granny smith or honey crisp
- 2 Tbsp. Corn starch
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- pinch of allspice
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 1/3 C Woodfors Reserve
- 1 Tbsp. Water
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. Madagascar Bourbon vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 prepared pie dough or home made pie dough
- Peel & slice the apples, toss in a large bowl with the cornstarch, flour, cinnamon, salt, allspice & bourbon.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine the following, sugar, bourbon, water. Stir until all of the sugar dissolves and let the mixture come to a soft boil.
- Don't stir the mixture while it is boiling, just gently swirl the pan occasionally, which allows for the caramel to brown evenly
- Remove the caramel from the stove once it is a deep amber color, add in the butter, swirling the pan once again until the butter has completely melted.
- Pour the caramel over the apples & mix well
- Pour the apple filling into the prepared pie shell and place into the fridge.
- In a small sauce pan melt one stick of butter over med heat- cook until golden brown- set aside
- In a new bowl, whisk together 1cup + 2 Tbsp. flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, 3 Tbsp. dark brown sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt & a pinch of cinnamon- mix together
- Carefully drizzle the butter into the flour mixture, gently mix together with a fork as the crumbs begin to form.
- Place the streusel onto a lined baking sheet and place into the fridge for 15 mins
- From the fridge remove the streusel & the pie, place onto a baking sheet.
- Cover the pie completely with the streusel and place in the oven to cook for 15 mins.
- Remove the pie from the oven, drop the temperature down to 350 degrees, cover the pie with foil and bake for an additional 30-40 mins.
- You'll know that the pie is done when you see the crust is golden brown & the caramel is bubbling