Holiday parties are always so much fun this time of year but can also be a challenge when trying to decide what kind of theme your party will be…
Before you get overwhelmed with what you are going to do, just know that there are so many fun options! From having a full sit down dinner, to appetizers only, or one of my favorites, a dessert bar with a cookie exchange.
This year, I decided to keep things simple and focus on a potluck of appetizers along with a dessert bar & cookie exchange. I asked each of one my guests to bring one of their favorite appetizers along with 2 dozen of their favorite cookies to share & swap.
Being that I can’t seem to help myself and make just one thing, I made several things. (I can’t help it, it’s that little old Italian woman inside of me that just wants to feed everyone!) So I will be featuring the 3 different apps I made along with a new bourbon sugar cookie recipe! These will be quick and simple appetizers you can put together so you can be able to enjoy your party.
Two of the recipes, the Bourbon Caramelized Onion Fig bites & Smoked Honey Maple Bourbon Wings feature one of my new favorite bourbons, Wyoming Whiskey’s small batch bourbon whiskey. Throughout the Instagram bourbon community, I kept seeing & reading all these wonderful things about this bourbon. With a flavor profile of vanilla, butter, cinnamon, & toffee this sounded exactly like what I needed to enhance several of my holiday recipes. Luckily the fine people at Wyoming Whiskey sent me a bottle of their small batch whiskey to pair with my next recipe. I couldn’t have been more excited and I couldn’t wait to open it, even if it was only 9 o’clock in the morning! I opened it up and poured myself a dram, immediately on the nose I got a little bit of an astringent smell, but that soon settled into a lovely smell of vanilla, a mix of caramel & toffee with a slight hint of rose. That first sip, aaaaah it was exactly what I was expecting & more! Such depth from those baking spices like cinnamon, nutmeg & allspice, creamy & rich brown butter taste, a finish of a sweet & delicious vanilla bean latte, needless to say I was hooked and ready to cook & bake.
This holiday season make things simple & easy while impressing your family & friends with these appetizers, they’ll think you’ve spent hours in the kitchen!
Merry Christmas & a happy healthy 2017 to you and your family
Enjoy and remember to #EatResponsibly
- 1 Large Onion, finely sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup Wyoming Whiskey
- 2 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
- S & P to taste
- Dalmatia Fig Spread
- Goat Cheese
- Glutino Bagel chips (or any other small toast bites)
- Cut a large onion in half & finely slice in half moons.
- Over medium heat up a large cast iron skillet, or a large skillet, add in olive oil and onions. Stir and allow for the onions to cook down for the next 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Once the onions begin to brown, add in 3 Tbsp.butter, stir and allow to cook down for an additional 10 mins.
- Carefully stir in bourbon, sprinkle onion mixture with 2 Tbsp. sugar, stir & cook for an additional 5 mins.
- Set onion mixture aside to cool.
- On a serving platter, lay out bagel chips or toasts & place a dollop of the fig spread on each, followed by the caramelized onion, goat cheese & salt/pepper to taste. Serve...